Read Random Post

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Grandma Projects

Well now that i am back i forgot how much extra time i have on my hands to do whatever i want with. Most people would think options could be endless but for some reason i find myself struggling trying to think of an idea of what my next project to keep me busy should be. Im definitely not the most creative person and sometimes it can be hard finding certain supplies here but i am trying. If anyone has any fun ideas PLEASE share! Anyways I have learned a bunch of things that i probably would never have learned if i wasn't forced into having "busy projects."

Ive learned how to piece quilts which has been quite fun. Thank goodness to my talented and patient friend Josie helping me and letting me use her sewing machine.






My bargaining skills have HAD to become pretty good because of my quilting projects. Its going to be weird living in a place where there is a non-negotiable price on things. This is just a picture of a lady selling fabric at Balogun - the biggest fabric market in Lagos. Its VERY overwhelming shopping for fabric here. Soo much fabric to look through and way too many desperate salesmen. I find myself with more and more "friends" every time i go. Nigerian ladies pulling me into their shops, throwing fabric at me and trying to convince me to buy their stuff. Its hard to stay focused on what i want when i'm being dragged all over the place. But market days are entertaining sometimes. The things people do to sell their stuff makes me laugh. I have even been proposed to more than once while shopping there. If i don't agree to their fabric and price they will throw their brother into the deal. Why that would suddenly make me change my mind i have no clue but desperate times call for desperate measures i guess? Maybe its my fault a little for not wearing a wedding ring in africa (jeff says its better i leave it home) but even when i tell them i'm married they say "you don't like your husband too much if you don't wear the ring he gave you"........what do you say to that??



My latest project has been sewing these aprons. They are fairly easy (for a beginner like me that is) and a good way to use my left over fabric (fabric comes only in 6 yards pieces here so i always have TONS left over). I am also proud to say that between me and my friend Melissa we figured it all out by ourselves and they turned out pretty cute! I was quite proud of myself.




(Please excuse all my "cute" hairdo and no make-up in all the pics. Thats another nice thing about living in Lagos....i never wear a smudge of make-up and my hairs always up and no one even thinks to ask me if i am sick or tired or wonders to themselves i obviously dont care what i look like because minus the white skin, i just blend in with everyone else.......well at least I like to think I do.)

And yes I know, i know.......that's why i called this post my grandma projects. What 22 year old spends their day quilting and sewing? I really am embarrassed when people ask me what i do with my spare time because these are my answers. The weekly card group doesn't make my situation any better either but i'm not a regular player there anymore. Maybe i really do sound like i live in a old folks home or something over here but its better than sitting around doing nothing all day right!?!?

8 comments:

bgibb said...

kelsey! that's so fun. not grandmaish at all. i love sewing! maybe i need to go to africa to get me some fabric. get myself a husband while i'm there.

The Spencers said...

I love your sewing projects. Not grandmaish at all! It'll so come in handy once you have kids too. I've made some dresses for my girls and loved doing it. I didn't think I'd ever enjoy sewing but it was actually fun! I can't even imagine what it'd be like to go shopping there. Crazy! Maybe you should get a fake, cheap ring to wear out instead of the real thing. Keep the creeps away! ha ha!! Hope you guys are doing good!

Janae

Randee said...

I love the sewing project,they look really good. You might like these web sites they have really good ideas and the Zippy- wallets were a good way for me to use up my scraps.

http://noodleheads.blogspot.com/2009/10/zippy-wallet-tutorial.html

http://kari-youcanmakeit.blogspot.com/

Hope you like them.

Randee

the fellers said...

I think it is awesome that you sew all the time, you are a pro!

Almostgreat said...

Kelsey!!! Those aprons look GREAT!! And I still really love that second quilt you made! I am still trying to get my sewing area all organized. I have SOOOOO many projects now! LOL You should come help me with some of them!!! LOL

Melissa F said...

I really liked my apron until I saw it on your blog and realized that my fabric looks kind of like throw up. Ha ha. I'm sure it was the lighting right? And I hope people realize I'm pregnant and not just that fat - although these days in addition to being pregnant I am "that fat."

Unknown said...

OK HOW COME YOU CAN FIND THE FUNNEST FABRIC!!! I LOVE ALL OF YOUR PROJECTS! THEY ARE SO CUTE! AND I DO LOVE THE SICK PONY....IT MAKES ME FEEL ALOT BETTER ABOUT MYSELF! AHHAHAH JUST KIDDING! IT JUST MAKES ME MISS YOU MORE....YOU AND YOUR OLD "HOLY" SWEATS!

melissa said...

well, i can officially say my happiness is starting to depend entirely on your blog. i am obsessed when you update!! your life is such a blast, and i love more than anything being able to read it. i love all your changes and things you get to experience.

love it kels, but even more love you 2. i miss the crap out of you. i think of hawaii often:)